I did a complete overhaul of my Linux box not too long ago, and in the process decided to start fresh with my /home directory, only porting configuration for things I knew I wanted to keep. One of those was my .wine folder. Everything went smoothly, but afterwards I was missing all of my Gnome menu entries for my Wine apps. Here's how I recovered them.
This is a little bash script I wrote to fetch the latest Sinfest webcomic and places it on my Gnome desktop. It also formats the image to scale on Sundays using ImageMagick.
UPDATE: as of 7 December 2009 this script is licensed GNU/GPL v2
My mom isn't very computer literate, and I dreaded the thought of having to clean up malware on a monthly basis, so I set her up with an Ubuntu install, which did what she needed: simple word processing, scanning & printing photos, and web browsing. With only a rudimentary knowledge of Windows, she had a penchant for calling me to help her do things she didn't know how to do. Eventually I decided it would be best to have remote access, so I could just share her screen and show her how to do whatever it was she was trying to do (instead of having her explain what was on the screen). The problem I found was her service provider, like most, assigned her a dynamic ip address. Also, her router didn't have any support for no-ip.org. What I ended up doing is posting a tiny PHP script to my site that outputs the ip address of the visitor:
A while back, I had a need for a GUI frontend for the game emulator mednafen, so here's a quick and dirty bash script I wrote. It requires mednafen and Zenity.